Bipolar disorder was previously known as manic depression. This disorder causes drastic mood swings that include emotional highs (manic) and lows (depression), and these mood changes can be unpredictable.
The specific cause of bipolar disorder is unknown, but genetics, brain structure, and function may be contributing factors.
Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder
With manic episodes, symptoms can include:
- Increased energy, activity, and agitation
- Abnormally upbeat, wired, and jumpy
- An exaggerated sense of self-confidence (euphoria)
With depressed episodes, symptoms can include:
- Lack of energy and fatigue
- Depressed, sad and feelings of hopelessness
- Feeling worthless and possibly inappropriate guilt
With the extreme shifts in mood and energy levels, having bipolar disorder can make day-to-day living very difficult, but there is hope with therapy for bipolar disorders such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and neuro-linguistic programming (NLP).
CBT for Bipolar Disorder
CBT helps give a person bipolar support by showing them how to recognize and change the thoughts that cause the mood and energy changes to occur. The specifics of CBT include:
- CBT helps the person identify and correct negative behavior patterns.
- For example, jumping to a negative conclusion when hearing someone wants to talk to you before even knowing what it is they want to discuss.
- CBT teaches how to respond to situations in a calmer state of mind.
- CBT focuses on the fact that our thoughts, feelings, and behaviors are all interconnected.
Studies have shown that people undergoing CBT experienced improvements in their quality of life as well as a reduction in the frequency and duration of mood swing episodes.
NLP for Bipolar Disorder
NLP uses language and sensory-based interventions, along with behavior modification techniques, to help the person view the world more positively.
NLP helps a person understand how they came to think and behave the way they do and learn how to manage their moods and emotions.
NLP assists in helping to change the negative thoughts and behaviors into more positive ones.
Finding Balance & Clarity with Miami Hypnosis & Therapy
At Miami Hypnosis and Therapy, we offer both CBT and NLP therapies for bipolar disorder along with other counseling support that is designed specifically for an individual’s needs. Our primary practitioner, Anna Marchenko, is a licensed mental health counselor who creates tailor-made treatment plans for all of our clients. Contact us and make the changes needed to free your mind and start feeling better today!