Borderline personality disorder (BPD) involves an ongoing pattern of fluctuating moods, self-image, and behavioral issues. BPD affects how a person thinks and feels about themselves and others. These thoughts can alter rapidly, creating extreme fluctuations in both thoughts and behavior.
At Miami Hypnosis and Therapy, we take an integrative approach to BPD therapy, in order to help our clients who are diagnosed with borderline personality disorder in or near Miami, Florida.
Signs and Symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder
- Extreme, roller-coaster like mood swings
- Tendencies to view things in the “extreme”: situations perceived as being all good, or all bad, with very little room for the inbetween
- Perspectives of other people and things can change rapidly
- Inappropriate or intense feelings of anger that can lead to rage
- Avoidance of abandonment, either real or perceived
- A trackable pattern of unstable relationships
- Persistent feelings of meaninglessness or emptiness
- Dangerous and/or impulsive behavior, including self-harm, substance abuse, binge eating, or reckless driving
- Recurring suicidal ideations (thoughts of committing suicide)
- Dissociative feelings, which means a sensation of seeing oneself from outside of one’s own body
Forms of BPD Therapy
Learn about the benefits of CBT and NLP for borderline personality disorder below, in addition to key differences. If you or a loved one need help understanding what options are best for you when seeking help for borderline personality disorder, get in touch with us today.
Benefits of CBT for BPD
- CBT helps by identifying and changing core beliefs and behaviors that form the basis for how those with BPD think about themselves and others.
- CBT can also help in reducing the ranges of mood swings.
- CBT helps to make sense of the problems experienced in the present moment.
Benefits of NLP for BPD
- NLP helps shift the underlying patterns that create destructive thoughts that lead to negative behavior.
- NLP helps regulate emotions, control impulses, and improve relationships with others and one’s self.
- NLP helps change the underlying patterns, so the problems do not reappear.
Differences Between Cognitive Behavioral Therapy & Neuro-Linguistic Programming for Borderline Personality Disorder
Both CBT and NLP operate with a shared belief that our thoughts are what influence our emotions and behaviors. With that framework for BPD therapy, each treatment modality offers a unique, collaborative outlook on help for borderline personality disorder. Utilizing both of these approaches during psychotherapy aids in the therapeutic process to help make life with BPD easier.
CBT makes changes at the conscious level.
- Addresses problems in their current moment.
- Helps to recognize triggers and behaviors that can be consciously addressed.
- Replaces negative automatic thought patterns (NATs) with emotionally healthy ones.
NLP makes changes at the unconscious level.
- Shifts thought processes automatically where you no longer have to think about them consciously
- Focuses on the way we filter information received and how we behave based on our interpretation
- Uncovers how language and perception shape our reaction to external stimuli.
Frequently Asked Questions About Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
What is the typical approach to treating borderline personality disorder?
While BPD therapy is not a cure, the best modalities for treatment are CBT, NLP, and continuous, ongoing psychotherapy.
How do I know if I, or a loved one, has BPD?
If you read the signs and symptoms and think you or someone in your life might need BPD therapy, seeking an experienced professional is important. A licensed therapist or counselor will help determine any applicable diagnoses.
How can I get help for borderline personality disorder?
To get started, choosing to call for a phone consultation about BPD therapy is best, whether it is for you or for a loved one. Finding a Licensed Mental Health Counselor, or LMHC, is a great step toward finding help for borderline personality disorder, and to feel better.
Once I’ve decided that I want to explore BPD therapy, where should I go?
Borderline personality disorder treatment in Florida, at Miami Hypnosis and Therapy, provides a personalized treatment plan, focused on BPD therapy and any other underlying issues.
Take the first step
Taking the first step is crucial to facing any challenge head-on and overcoming any obstacle. No matter what you’re struggling with, Miami Hypnosis and Therapy is here to support and guide you.
Call (305) 790-3949 to book your consultation today.