How to Strengthen Your Relationship With Mindful Co-Living
Cohabitating can be a delightful arrangement but if we are not mindful we can end up creating a not so compatible situation. Arguments can arise due to daily stressors that we bring home with us, but there are ways to work around them.
Mindfulness starts with being present in this moment, not thinking about the past or worrying about the future and paying attention without judgment. Being mindful has health benefits and can help make us healthier, happier and less stressed which will bring a calmer atmosphere to your living situation.
How to Strengthen Your Relationship at Home Mindfully
- Communicate Mindfully. When sharing thoughts the communication process should be mindful which means the communication should show sensitivity as well as being open to multiple points of view and be more open-minded to new viewpoints on various issues.
- Listen Mindfully. When our partners feel as though we are not paying attention to what they are saying, it can create resentments that lead to arguments. Mindful listening is a key skill to learn when considering how to live together. If you find your mind wandering which can happen quickly, here are a few tips to get back on the listening track, see if you can notice your wandering thoughts and try to refocus on the words your partner is saying.
- Take a Breath. We need to take care of ourselves before confronting issues with our partner. In this way, how you strengthen your relationship can start as simply as watching how your breath shortens right before a potential argument.
Everyone argues at some point in time, and instead of escalating the argument, sometimes if you stop and take a breath you can help calm down and clear your mind. Take a deep breath in through your nose and hold the breath for five seconds. Slowly release the breath out of your mouth. Consider other tools on mitigating anxiety, as well.
- Seek Couples Counseling. One of the best places to spend quality time together to help strengthen your relationship is couples counseling where both partners learn bonding techniques to help with better communication, learn how to resolve conflicts and challenges productively as well as resolving unwanted patterns of behavior.
- Change Negative Habits and Patterns. Cognitive behavioral therapy and neuro-linguistic programming can help both partners work through what the mind may be blocking so that both partners can have the clear pathway needed to start feeling better together.
When people ask how to strengthen their relationship, creating a space where both people can thrive in should include being able to be productive, creative and relax with your partner in that space. Many relationship building activities utilize mindfulness which can help strengthen and unite one another, and the following is just one example.
- Five Senses Exercise. Take your partner on a walk and explore nature together. While you are walking together, you will both utilize your five senses along the way.
- See – Pick five things you see and challenge yourselves by picking out objects you wouldn’t usually pick such as a shadow or even a rock.
- Feel – Pick four things you can touch and feel. Explore the texture and rigidity of the object.
- Hear – Pick three things you can hear which could include birds chirping and leaves rustling.
- Smell – Pick two things you can smell. Aromas of fresh cut grass or food cooking would be examples.
- Taste – Pick one thing you can taste. Depending on where you are walking, it could include the air itself or a sip of water.
This exercise will bring you to a mindful state together and will also utilize communication and listening to help you further understand how to strengthen your relationship.
Learning how to live together can be a relationship strengthening process in and of itself, and at Miami Hypnosis & Therapy, Anna Marchenko (LMHC, M.A., Ed.M.) works with you to create tailor-made sessions to address all of your concerns.
In addition to Anna’s exceptional knowledge, her hypnosis certification is from the only program in Florida certified by the Department of Education, so take that first step and learn how to strengthen your relationship at home and discover transformation today!