How Counseling Psychology Can Bring Peace To Your Life
Embarking on your path toward clarity and balance with counseling can be overwhelming. What can you expect? What is counseling psychology and how does it work for your specific situation? We’ll explore this and more in this blog.
What is Counseling Psychology?
A counseling psychologist helps people with mental health issues by improving their sense of well-being, alleviating feelings of distress, and resolving crises. Counseling psychology is considered to be a specialty within professional psychology that focuses on personal and interpersonal functioning.
Benefits of Psychology Counseling
Counseling provides a safe space to explore feelings, behaviors, and beliefs and work through memories that may be causing current distress. This highly effective form of therapy can help people identify daily habits and thought patterns that may be self-sabotaging the pursuit of one’s goals and happiness.
There are a multitude of benefits when a person undergoes psychological counseling, depending on the issues you are working through. Let’s explore different scenarios below:
- Grief and Los – Managing the residual scarring left from grief and loss can take some time. And, sometimes it’s not always a physical loss you may be contending with. In the psychology of counseling, therapy for grief and loss provides you the tools needed to help move past the pain and rediscover serenity.
- Anxiety – Whether it’s temporary stress or a deeper, ongoing anxiety disorder, therapists and psychologists work with clients to help find peace instead of panic.
- Depression – With effective psychology counseling, a therapist can help you with the following:
- How to pinpoint, understand and manage the root causes of depression
- Different ways to identify negative or distorted thinking patterns that may be contributing to depression
- Look into other learned thoughts and behaviors that may be creating conflict and contributing to ongoing issues
- Obsessions and Compulsions – Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) can derail your everyday life, with intrusive thoughts that make seemingly routine tasks daunting. Utilizing cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) through psychology counseling is one of the best ways to alleviate OCD and find more life-affirming, positive habits.
- Eating Disorders – Working with a therapist and psychologist for eating disorders is key to finding a sustainable road to recovery, and the road can often be long for these issues. With an array of causes and triggers, each situation is unique. Counseling can help you find ways to shift your relationship with food while doing deep work to uncover the disorder’s origins.
- Relationships – There are many reasons that relationships break down, but with the proper counseling, communication lines can be restored and strengthened. Some of the various relationship therapies offered include:
- Substance Abuse – Substance abuse often goes hand-in-hand with many of the above issues, but not always. Working with a psychologist or therapist can help you and your family find ways to cope, overcome, and manage the daily ups and downs that come with this condition. Through talk therapies like psychotherapy, group therapy, and working with an addiction specialist, there is a light at the end of this tunnel.
At Miami Hypnosis and Therapy, we offer a wide range of therapies through our psychology counseling offerings. We combine integrative therapies from cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), neuro-linguistic programming (NLP), hypnotherapy, and other counseling modalities to serve our clients for each individual need.
Don’t allow stress, depression, or any of life’s difficulties to cause you to feel despair. Start living the joyous life you were meant to live, and contact us to get started on finding that bright light in your life again.